I am such a sucker for a produce sale. I eagerly scan the couponing blogs each weekend to see what’s going to be on sale the upcoming week. I am not so fanatical in the winter, but in the summer I get almost giddy when I see the prices drop on some of my favorite fruits and veggies.
This “sickness” didn’t really begin until I acquired my dehydrator and I learned to water bath can. Ever since then I look for new uses and recipes for these produce loss leaders. I buy copious amounts of the sale items and then preserve them for gift-giving and our pantry stash.
Happily strawberries and kiwi, two of my favorite fruits, were on sale this week so I grabbed lots of both. My plan was to make strawberry jam and dehydrate the kiwis, which not something I had yet tried. More on that in another post.
I was able to make a batch of strawberry jam as well as a big Mason jar full of dehydrated kiwi (delicious!) and still had plenty of leftover fruit. I poked around on the Internet and found a recipe for Strawberry-Kiwi Jam that looked interesting. Since I recently made a batch of candied ginger, I was able to make the Strawberry-Kiwi Jam immediately after finishing the strawberry jam. More bang for my mess-making buck!
The players in this recipe:
Everything but the sugar went into a large pot to boil.
Once it was at a full rolling boil I added the sugar.
Looking fabulous after returning to a boil.
I processed 7 jars of the gorgeous jam!
The jam is so utterly spectacular that I am not sure any of it will end up in a single gift basket this year. I still have time to take advantage of the strawberry and kiwi sales so I’ll be certainly making more. Hopefully my family and friends will miss this one blog post so they aren’t disappointed when neither the first nor the second batch of this incredible jam ends up in their Christmas gift baskets. Shhhhh…. I won’t tell if you don’t.
- 3 cups crushed strawberries
- 3 kiwi fruits, peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon minced crystallized ginger
- 1 (1 3/4 ounce) packages powdered pectin
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 5 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon butter
- Hull the strawberries and crush them one layer at a time (I usually do this with a potato masher in an 8×8 baking dish in about 3 batches.) Peel and dice the kiwi fruits.
- Combine the crushed strawberries, diced kiwi, crystallized ginger, powdered pectin and lemon juice in a large stockpot.
- Bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Add sugar and butter, stirring until dissolved. Return to a rolling boil and boil hard for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and ladle the hot jam into hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Adjust two-piece caps.
- Process for 10 minutes in a boiling-water canner (adjust for altitude).